Retail Renewal Services
DisplayMax Helps Transform Your Stores to Meet the New Realities of Retail
As state governments reopen their economies and shoppers flow back into stores a new reality is taking shape in retailers across the country. How many shoppers return and what kind of buying mood they are in remains to be seen. The question is, are you ready to face the long term challenges of promoting social distancing and infection control that eases the fears of customers?
Many customers will have serious reservations about shopping again and will not experience a sense of “normal” for the foreseeable future. Shopper behavior has changed forever and the temporary safety measures you’ve implemented will remain in place for some time. The next battle you must wage are the permanent changes within your store that will give customers and workers the confidence they can safely enter without anxiety or trepidation.
Retailers who make customers feel most comfortable and safe are going to win this invisible war. However, this will require much more than simply taping an “X” on the floor at your checkouts. It will require a “Retail Renewal” of your store environment that conform to meet the new realities of living in a world with the Coronavirus.
With this virus, it will not be possible to make shopping and working a zero-risk affair. But you can lower that risk by enhancing safety measures in many areas. At DisplayMax, we have identified three critical aspects of your operations where you can proactively transform the sales floor to build a line of defense to keep customers and workers safe:
- Customer Flow: Improve spacing for social distancing
- Checkout Areas: Upgrade your checkout for safety and increased sales
- Customer Safety: Build trust and show that they are your top priority
Many of these areas have been part of the initial reaction to the pandemic but a deeper dive is necessary for long term mitigation.
The first step in Retail Renewal is redirecting customer flow to create greater separation which encourages natural social distancing on your sales floor. This is the most important weapon against this silent enemy. You invest a great deal of time and energy developing plans to guide customers to the point of purchase, now you must add the variable of infection control to that equation. Here are five strategies to consider as you overhaul the customer flow in your stores:
- Aisle Realignment: Creating more space between aisles to promote proper social distancing between customers is essential in the new world of retail. Our professional fixture installers can mobilize your gondola shelving and displays to create more room. Learn More
- Construct Divider Walls: Building permanent knee walls at strategic locations establishes barriers to control customer flow and can create more locations for gondola and displays. Learn More
- New Signage Installation: Placing new directional signage into your decor package to guide customers more efficiently through their journey and reminding them to follow safety guidelines. Learn More
The checkout lanes of your store are the most problematic areas for creating a safe environment as you renew your store. Space is at a premium and keeping customers six feet apart will be a constant challenge. This may seem an impossible task with the footprint limitations but it is necessary to find a solution to keep everyone safe as they congregate while waiting at the checkout. Here are steps you can take to improve safety and to enhance customer experience:
- New Technology Installation: Many tech companies are introducing new contact-less products and software at the checkout to reduce infection transmission and streamline the transaction experience.
- Install Queuing Line Fixtures: Guiding your customers through the checkout process with a queing line system allows you to create social distancing and offer more impulse sales opportunities. Lozier store fixtures makes a creative selection of queuing line system products. Learn More
- Millwork & Counter Refit: Your existing millwork and counter configurations may need an overhaul to produce more space and a more efficient transaction process. Learn More
- Install Sneeze Guards: A well designed sneeze guard that provides a barrier between associates and customers is an inexpensive and practical way to build trust and keep everyone safe. Learn More
- Electrical & Data Relocation: Repositioning the locations of point of sale equipment like registers, card scanners, scales, and beverage coolers are areas of opportunity to promote a healthy shopping. Always use a licensed retail electrical contractor. Learn More
At the heart of Retail Renewal is customer safety. It’s very likely you’ve implemented the immediate, reactive safety measures throughout your store such as hand sanitizing carts, floor markings and temporary signage. But to give your shoppers a higher sense of security, permanent safety measures must be implemented in key areas. The expectations for cleanliness and surface sanitation are more important than ever and will be front of mind for the foreseeable future. Here are some of the most important steps you need to consider as part of a comprehensive customer safety strategy:
- Interior Cleaning and Disinfecting: Investing the time and resources to carefully, and systematically, disinfect segments of your store that are most susceptible to virus transmission.
- Hand Sanitizer Stands and Safety Kiosks: Freestanding hand sanitizer stands and kiosks that contain safety measures to fight virus transmission will be a common element at many store entrances in the next few months. Learn More
- Shopping Cart Sanitizing Stations: Many stores now utilize greeters or cart retrievers to disinfect shopping carts between use; an automatic system is an idea whose time has come.
- Automatic Door Openers: In many cases, a typical restroom door can be retro fitted with automatic opening hardware that allows a hands-free entry and exit.
- Touch-less Door Hardware: Restroom door hardware can be converted with no touch handles and foot openers that are designed to minimize contact points.
- No Touch Restroom Dispensers: Public restrooms have always been the focus for infection control and now is the time to upgrade or replace old units.
Achieving Retail Renewal that customers can immediately see is critical to your future. There is nothing new about these safety measures. Each of these strategies and techniques are very familiar to retailers; you may have some of them already in place. But developing a comprehensive safety program to combat future transmission of the Coronavirus is important to the regaining the business that was lost during this horrible economic paralysis.
Let us help you transform your store to the realities of the new normal
To explore your Retail Renewal needs, fill out the form below. We will contact you promptly to discuss how we can help you create a safer environment for you customers. Or, give us a call at 810-494-0400.
Explore Our Retail Services Capabilities